Minaya Law Office, PLLC
With an office in Plantation, we serve clients in Plantation, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

child support Archives

What can I do if my ex won’t pay child support?

It’s up to both parents to provide financially for their children. Unfortunately, many divorces parents in Florida are faced with non-payment of child support, which can greatly hamper a child’s development and well-being. So, what can be done if your ex refuses to pay child support? U.S. New & World Report offers the following advice if you’re faced with a former spouse who is unwilling or unable to remit child support payments.

Back child support and international travel

Child support can create a number of challenges in a non-custodial parent's life, whether they have fallen behind and are worried about the consequences they may face or they are having a hard time staying caught up because their income recently dropped. While many people realize that back child support can be problematic with regard to finances, there are other ways in which falling behind on child support can disrupt a person's life. Not only do some face the threat of arrest and a shattered reputation in their community, but unpaid child support may prevent someone from traveling abroad.

Detailing the Federal Tax Refund Offset program

On top of signaling the impending arrival of summer, there is another reason why so many in Plantation look forward to springtime: It is tax season! Every year, countless local residents likely anticipate receiving a big check from Uncle Sam. Some may plan to use that money to pay off debts (such as child support arrears). Yet if potential return recipients have no intention of using those funds to fulfill their child support obligations, those who are expecting it need not worry; the law allows for that money to go directly to them. 

Covering your kids' healthcare costs

As you prepare for your divorce in Plantation, your thoughts will inevitably turn to the continued care and support of your kids. Many in your same situation have come to us here at The Minaya Law Offices, PLLC asking who is responsible for their children's medical expenses. The answer to that question depends on the unique circumstances of your case. 

Modifying a child support obligation

A thought may exist in the minds of many in Plantation that child support is a method through which an embittered divorcee can get back at his or her ex-spouse. Child support is not meant to be punitive; rather, it is to ensure that the children that a divorced couple shares have sufficient resources to meet their needs. Yet such resources can only be provided when they are available to the one obliged to pay them. If and when a parent obligated to pay his or her child support sees his or her circumstances change, he or she can petition to have the agreement modified. 

License check reveals arrest warrant for unpaid child support

There may be a number of misconceptions that many in Plantation may share about the payment of child support. The first may be that it is only owed by divorced dads. The truth is that women can be ordered to pay child support just as easily as men. In Florida, the non-custodial parent (whether that be the mom or the dad) is required to pay a portion of a family's basic child support obligation based upon his or her contribution to the net monthly income shared between the two parents. Another misconception about child support is that those who owe it can easily get away with not paying it. 

Do child support obligations end with high school graduation?

Child support can be confusing in Florida. One false step and you can end up in serious debt. You not only owe your child money but you can get into a situation where you owe fees and fines to the state. That is why it is essential to stay on top of your child support payments. However, you are not likely to pay forever. At some point, your obligation ends, but when is that?

Quitting work may cause imputed income for child support purposes

Many divorcing parents in Florida who have children are typically aware that there will most likely be a child support order issued by the court at some point in time. Most parents want to properly support their children and comply with the state’s law for doing so. There are, however, times when a parent unwisely decides to stop working with the hope of escaping a child support order.

Felony charge awaits man who refused to pay child support

Most in Plantation likely understand that fulfilling a child support obligation is very serious. Those who fail to do it could face potentially serious criminal penalties, including jail time as well as being required to pay fees and restitution on top of their arrears. Yet the perception might be out there that the criminal penalties one may face for failing to pay child support are relatively minor. Those who subscribe to this assumption may be shocked to find out that is not the case. 

Child support guidelines and resources

Child support, in legal terms, is a topic of family law that determines the payment parents must make for the financial security of a child, usually after a divorce or separation. Florida uses what is called an income shares model, or a system that holds that a child should receive the same level of income that he or she would have received if the two parents lived together.

FindLaw Network  


"Very impressed with Ms. Minaya. She found a practical and creative solution to my complicated legal problem. She took the time to understand my situation and put together a solution that was effective and efficient, avoiding expensive court proceedings. I would recommend to my friends without hesitation. Reasonable fees and excellent work."
J. V. Client


Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us